If you are a Youth Coach for any sports most leagues would require you to take concussion trainings before being allowed to coach kids. As coach you are responsible keep athletes safe all the time and getting the knowledge to identify problems and how to take actions is important.
Fortunately this training is free called Heads Up – Free Online Training found on the CDC website.
Below are the resources for training:
Blast Off into Concussion Safety with CDC HEADS UP Rocket Blades!
This is a game application for concussion training for 6 to 8 year old. The game starts with 3-2-1 Blast Off and through a futuristic world of galactic racing adventures children can learn the benefits of playing it safe and smart!
As the app claims, it is to teach children:
- the various ways the brain can get hurt during sports activities.
- children should tell a coach, parent or other adult when an injury occurs.
- the importance of rest and recovery when you are confirmed to have a concussion.
The links for the web apps are as follows:
The rest of downloadable resources:
Concussion Safety and Rocket Blades
Parents and Coaches: Kids want to hear from parents and coaches about concussion safety.
- Handout for Kids: Did you know that your brain can get hurt? pdf icon[PDF – 4 MB]
- Handout for Adults: Rocket Blades – The Brain Safety Game pdf icon[PDF – 4 MB]
- Handout for Adults: Tips for talking to kids about concussion pdf icon[PDF – 5 MB]
Rocket Blades Video
Concussion and Helmet Safety App
The CDC HEADS UP Concussion and Helmet Safety app will help you learn how to spot a possible concussion and what to do if you think your child or teen has a concussion or other serious brain injury.
The application also includes a 3D helmet fit feature that teaches about proper helmet fit, safety and care.
Download for Free
Complete the FREE training today by visiting: www.cdc.gov/Concussion.